Resource Center for the SAT* I
SAT Test Prep Resource Center
College Board and College Prep Test Information
Flash Card Study Decks for the SAT - Design & Benefits
Flash Card Deck Design and Development
In all of our study decks, we made a careful analysis of overall SAT exams, including individual question types as well as distribution and quantity of those question types. We then constructed typical questions for each card, placing the sample question on the front side of the individual card. On the back side of each card, we placed the correct answer as well as a clear and detailed explanation of why it is the correct answer. In this explanation lies the unique value of these cards when compared to all other SAT study aids. Our cards offer a compact approach to exemplifying, explaining, and teaching the fundamental concepts, structures, and techniques that students are expected to know on the SAT I. Each of our products represents a sound educational product which can significantly improve a student's likelihood of obtaining a higher score on the SAT I.
- Critical Reading Study Package of Cards
- The Critical Readings section contains Sentence Completion questions, Reading
Comprehension questions and Paragraph Length Critical Reading questions. We
divided our cards up into an equal number of questions for this Critical Reading
Study Deck. As to the content of the questions, we analyzed the nature of
the sentence completion questions, and identified the most common sentence
types. The common sentence completion questions include, but are not limited
in our cards, to cause and effect, definitions, contrast, and supporting clauses.
Each card presents a typical sentence completion question on the front, with
the correct answer and an explanation on the back. In all cases, the answer
side offers much more than just the answer, aiming to convey to the student
the fundamental concept that underlies the question in the first place. Understanding
each of these critical reading question cards can be a giant step toward understanding
any future question that employs the same basic type of question.
- Mathematics Study Package of Cards
- The Mathematics section of the SAT I includes Standard Multiple Choice,
and Student Produced Response (sometimes called 'Grid') questions. Roughly
75% of the math questions are standard multiple choice, with about 25% being
the fill-in 'grid' questions. This Mathematics Study Deck offers a number
of cards that are distributed in approximately the same ratio, so that the
student will have the opportunity to practice with our cards in the same proportions
that he/she will eventually encounter questions during the actual SAT I test.
The math cards cover the fundamental concepts expected in arithmetic, algebra,
geometry and higher level math. Questions cover (but are not limited to) such
important concepts as proportionality, distance and speed, exponential operations,
order of computation, averages, roots and squares, angles, triangles, circles,
areas, and volumes. The basic concepts or formulas underlying each question
are explained so that the student should understand how to deal with all future
questions that are of the demonstrated type. Understanding each of these mathematics
cards will be a giant step toward understanding any future question that employs
the same basic type of arithmetic, algebraic, or geometric question.
- Vocabulary Study Package of Cards
- Thousands of vocabulary words seen on SAT tests were identified, counted,
and organized by frequency. The top 400 words specified by the author were
then incorporated into this important deck of study cards. Each card contains
four key vocabulary words on one side, with the other side of the card containing
a definition, part of speech, and sample sentence for each word. This set
of fundamental vocabulary words is probably the most important set of useful
words that you can learn or study, for real life as well as for this standardized
- Overall Study Package of Cards
- This package contains all of the question types identified and explained
in the preceding paragraphs. This overall package contains both verbal and
mathematics questions, the number of each being proportional to the number
of each question type found in the SAT I as a whole.
- The Word Architecture as a Vocabulary Enhancement (WAVE) Study Package
- This study deck includes 200 of the most useful and common English word
parts (prefixes, roots, and suffixes) on one side of each card. The reverse
side of each card indicates what kind of word part it is. It also contains
a word part definition, and examples of words that use that word part (along
with definitions of these examples vocabulary words). This means that the
WAVE deck includes not only the 200 word parts but also 500 vocabulary words
to augment your English language studies.
- Writing Study Package of Cards
- The new Writing section that the College Board added to the SAT I exam in
2005 consists of two parts: a written essay and multiple-choice questions:
identifying sentence errors, improving sentences, and improving paragraphs.
This Writing Study Deck offers the student the opportunity to practice with
our cards the same types of questions that he/she will encounter during the
actual SAT I test. The new writing cards cover basic grammar, sentence structure,
and vocabulary concepts. Questions deal with (but are not limited to) the
principle of subject-pronoun agreement, subjunctive mood, parallelism, comparatives
and superlatives, subject-verb agreement, idioms, and usage of adjectives
and adverbs. The basic rules underlying each question are explained so that
the student should understand how to deal with all future questions that are
of the demonstrated type. Understanding each of these writing cards will be
a giant step toward understanding any future question that employs the same
basic type of grammatical question. Each card presents a typical question
on the front, with the correct answer and an explanation on the back. The
cards offer a compact approach to exemplifying, explaining, and teaching the
fundamental concepts, structures, and techniques that students are expected
to know on the SAT I Writing section
Benefits of These Flash Card Decks
- 25% of the Purchase Price may be a Charitable Contribution, when purchased through your school, church, or other fund raising charity organization!
- Not one question/answer card duplicated in any of the decks.
- 102 Flash Cards per individual study deck.
- Write on the cards. Personalize them. Put your calculations or thoughts on them.
- Questions and Answers to representative questions in all SAT sections (except Reading Comprehension).
- Maximize your scores by following our many overall test tactics, as well as our individual section strategies.
- Use these cards to help your child prepare. Extend our included concepts and explanations to additional questions that you can more easily generate on your own, using our model cards.
- Use our cards in teacher-directed study, self-paced student study, or encourage pairs of students to test each other with the front/backs of our cards. You should also treat our concepts, techniques, explanations, and formulas as models for new study cards that can be easily generated by you on the fly.
Improve your answer selections with individual tips and techniques for these SAT Sections:
- Critical Reading
- Sentence Completions
- Reading Comprehension
- Standard Multiple Choice
- Student Produced Response
- Essay Writing
- Multiple Choice
- a. Usage Questions
- b. Sentence Correction
- c. Paragraph Correction
Which Flash Card Deck(s) Should You Buy?
If you only buy one deck of study cards, and want to prepare for the entire test, the OVERALL Study Package is the best one to get because you will be able to study and learn tips, techniques, strategies, and tactics for all sections of the entire SAT I.
If you are taking the SAT I for the second time, and only want to improve your
math score, buy the MATHEMATICS Study Package because it provides the greatest
number of examples and explanations for the most likely math questions including
concepts in Algebra I and II, geometry and higher level math.
If you are taking the SAT I for the second time, and just want to improve your
verbal score, the VOCABULARY, CRITICAL READING and WRITING Study Packages are
the best three products for you. The Critical Reading package provides specific
experience with the exact question types you will encounter, the Vocabulary package
enables you to learn the set of words that you are highly likely to see in questions
as well as in the reading comprehension paragraphs. The Writing Study Package
consists of pointers for writing essays and multiple questions identifying sentence
errors. Questions deal with the principle of subject-pronoun agreement, subjective
mood, parallelism, comparative and superlatives, subject-verb agreement, idioms,
and usage of adjectives and adverbs.
If you want the greatest opportunity to improve your scores in both math and verbal
sections, you can save $11.05 by ordering our Special Gift Package which includes
all the flash cards from all six study decks in a unique single box. Use this
- to store and carry your own copy of all the cards.
- as a gift to give a son, daughter, or friend of the family.
- as a means to save $11.05 and split the savings with one or more of your
All of these SAT pages are copyright © 2008 by Oakwood Publishing Company